Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Whoops I spoke too soon

I assumed that the church as a whole would let the Davinci code thing go. Apparently there are "Christian groups from South Korea, Thailand, Greece and India planning boycotts, a hunger strike and other attempts to block or shorten screenings." (from CNN).

What will that do? Boycott it? Cool more space in the cinema to spread out without some uptight arse muttering. Hunger strike? Huh? How does you starving yourself to death do anything? If you are stupid enough to kill yourself that is not my responsibility. Why don't you try reasoned arguments and accept that people may have a different opinion? Do I starve myself to death because you believe in something I consider to be absurd?

The following is lifted directly from the CNN report

"Although the leader of the Catholic Church, Pope Benedict XVI, has not voiced an opinion either way on the novel or the film, many Catholic Church officials have.

"I'm mystified by the popularity of it," said Father Joseph DiNoia, a Vatican official during an interview with CNN's Alessio Vinci.

"It has to do with the harm it does to people's faith, not the harm that it does to the (Catholic Church's) public image. It's something a lot more important."

Monsignor Robert Sarno, also a Vatican official, told Vinci he did not see the storyline as an attack on the Church.

"I just think it has been given a lot more truth value and faith value than it has," he said. "It just read it as an entertaining novel.""

Well. Bit of a difference of opinion huh? The pope says nothing. Mr DiNoia suggests that it harms peoples faith.

How? I thought faith was faith. Surely those with real faith will just say, "oh it's a movie. Fiction. Perhaps there are bad people in the church or perhaps Jesus was married. Doesn't stop me believing in god".

If a film made from a fiction book is enough to shake your faith or your religion perhaps you are halfway there already. Maybe you need to reevaluate what you believe in. Maybe you are believing in something because it's what you were told as a child, maybe it's just habit. Blind faith doesn't learn.

Mr Sarno gives a sensible response. It is a novel. Don't get so worked up about it. I do hope it's a truthful response and not just clever PR.

Anyway people let it go. It's just a book and books are written by people.

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/17/film.davinci.protests/index.html

2 Comments:

Blogger Andraste said...

Well said! It's like all those idiots that think their marriage is less sacred because some gays they don't even know want to have one. Jeez.

Celebrities do more to damage the state of marriage than any gay person I know.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 1:23:00 pm  
Blogger Student said...

Another topic that annoys the hell out of me. I think it may be better if I deal with the biggies one at a time and give myself chance to cool down in between. A chilled P1P is a happy P1P.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 9:57:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jimmy likes you. Jimmy would like to go on a date with you. That makes Jimmy smile.