Wednesday, May 10, 2006

I know I promised but.....

Ok I know I said I'd stay away from serious stuff and just stick to the stuff that pissed me off. Well this does, ok? I guess I could lump all of these things under the title of extremist wankers(football hooligans, terrorists, fundmentalist christians) but I don't like that idea. I prefer to give marks out of ten for the individual and not hold the whole class back after school until someone tells me who threw the bit of paper (I know that I don't always live up to this ideal but it's my blog so you can bite my ass).

Anyway my pet hate today is the animal rights extremists. Don't get me wrong, I support some of the organisations and I agree with some of the goals. I have been vegetarian for over twelve years, I try to buy stuff that hasn't been animal tested and the only animal skin clothing I have is over twelve years old.

Having said that if I ever get seriously ill I would prefer if the medicine has been fully tested. I understand that this is going to mean animal trials. I am pragmatic about it. I have been vegetarian for a long time but if I am ever shipwrecked on an island and the only food is a little piggy that got shipwrecked at the same time then it's bacon for dinner (of course if it's me and an animal rights extremist and a piggy then I guess I could eat the extremist if it makes him feel better).

I understand the arguments (a few years of philosophy will do that to you) and I have decided I believe it's ok to test on animals for necessary reasons. Ok, If animal rights protesters feel the need to step in and take the place of those animals , fine. Drug tests on humans would be more accurate anyway. Of course I expect that all animal rights protesters refuse medical treatment anyway as the majority of things in medicine have been tested on animals. After all if they are threatening other people I assume they have the courage of their convictions. "Sorry son you can't have the medicine it's been tested on animals". Right?

Anyway apart from all the blah, the point is I feel one way, protesters may feel another. We both have a right to our point of view and I insist that they have the right of protest. It's what freedom is all about right? We can hold whatever opinion we want, we should be able to say whatever we want. If people hold opinions that are crazy (and believe me a lot do) I don't think they should be censored (don't get me started on censorship), the sane should laugh at them. It's our right to mercilessly mock the loonies. I promise I wont be upset if someone laughs at me for not believing in god or for believing in freedom of speech (after all that's kind of the point).

On to the thing that pisses me off. Digging up corpses to threaten people who work in or alongside animal testing. Threatening people who work in labs. Threatening to give home addresses and names of people who are shareholders in a company that uses animal testing! This doesn't get me on your side. This makes me lump you in with the other terrorists. Using threats or fear to attain your ends is terrorism and should be treated as such.

Whoops getting a bit serious here again. Good for building up the old rage muscles but not so good for my karma. After all this blog was never intended as a soapbox, more as on line therapy for yours truly.

After all that there is a lighter note. Some guy in Norfolk has been jailed for 28 days for sending pictures of aborted foetuses to hospital staff. He was asked to stop and continued so off he goes to do some porridge. Now he needs hip op and the hospital has refused him treatment as they have a zero tolerance policy to threatening behaviour on staff. They have agreed to treat him if he has any life threatening illnesses but for stuff like hip ops he can whistle.

The really peculiar thing was..

"James Dowson, national co-ordinator of the UK Life League, said: "It is ridiculous. I think it is completely unfair. They are refusing to treat him. Would they refuse a murderer or a paedophile?""

Not sure of your point there James. Are you saying that he's on a par with a paedophile or a murderer? Or you asking for equal rights? You see, he already has equal rights, if a paedophile or murderer threatened staff after being asked to stop they wouldn't receive treatment either! I say fuck him! Fuck him right in the ear!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4750647.stm

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jimmy likes you. Jimmy would like to go on a date with you. That makes Jimmy smile.