Thursday, May 04, 2006

Rub the butter in firmly

People who write recipe books write them for people who know what they are doing.

Now I can cook. I also do what the majority of people call cooking, you know, Something out of the freezer, with some form of potato and some form of veg. Everyday stay alive cooking. The thing is when I get the time I like to really cook.

I love to cook stuff that my mother would call "fancy". I also like to bake, you know make my own bread, cakes etc. All this cooking stuff is very relaxing and good for my karma. ok. I'll come clean. It's the cooking or alcoholism, what do you want from me? Blood?

Anyway, I can follow a recipe. I'm not bad at deciding on herbs and spices for a dish. I know my ingredients pretty well. However, when it comes to some recipes they contain sentences like " Rub the butter into the flour to create small crumbs". Simple huh?

No. No it isn't.

In this case you are meant to rub the butter and flour with finger tips. Lifting them out of the bowl to do it. If you dont know this you end up with a big football (yes it is a football not a soccer ball. SHUT UP!) of butter flour and sugar. Luckily a friend helped me out and explained what I needed to do so we could fix it.

Recipe books are reminders of recipes for people who already know what they are doing! Not really sure who I am mad at here but I AM.

Now I just need to know the difference between beating and whisking!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jimmy likes you. Jimmy would like to go on a date with you. That makes Jimmy smile.