Friday, April 28, 2006

It's raining men

Today we have an issue that has caused such grinding of teeth that it keeps my dentist in porsches. Some background is necessary.

I love my sleep (as you know if you have read some of my earlier blogs). I love it more than most things. My bed is a cosy haven which I leave with the greatest reluctance (on weekdays, on weekends it's a hell of a lot easier to rise and shine). This results in me leaving getting up until the absolute last minute. As you might guess this gives me little time to get ready and no margin for error. I have pared my morning activites down to the bare essentials.

I cannot do anything without a shower. It's like coffee to a dutchman (a story for another time if I can be bothered). No shower results in me being about as much use as honesty in marketing. I have it down to a fine art and can be totally clean and towelling off in about 10 minutes.

Breakfast is another must (again if you can be arsed, look at earlier blogs). First thing I need to kick start my body, eggs every few days, cereal in between, occasionally a full english (breakfast of champions). I don't drink coffee or tea very often at all so I have to get by without the caffine hit, this means that without breakfast I am dead in the water.

Everything else is secondary. I like to exercise first thing, I like to watch the news while I eat breakfast but both of these can be ditched if I run low on time.

On to the thing that bugs me. When I watch the news I like to catch the days weather. I have a very short window of opportunity but it usually works out that the weather is coming on just as I have finished exercising and while I eat breakfast. This is the gap between breakfast and shower and it's not long.

This irritating thing happens on regional tv but also on BBC weather. The weather girl doesn't just say ok it's raining today or it'll be sunny all day. Nope. She has the little banter moment with the guys in the newsroom.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. I know it doesn't sound like much but it's infuriating. I don't have time for that crap. Just the facts woman. No chit chat, no funny little aside, no "keeeeraazzy" banter to show how fun you are.

Weather. Weather first so I can go jump in the shower. Just shut the hell up. I don't give a crap if you have matching gloves and scarf on. In fact I don't care if you read the weather stood in a big pile of sheep shit. Just tell me what the weather will be like with no extras.

Actually I could live with the banter if she wittered on after telling me what the weather will be like, then I could head to the shower and commence my day but no, she know she has a captive audience and is making the most of it. It's like trailers and adverts before a film at the cinema (and this is on my list don't you think it isn't). You are waiting for the stuff you want to see so they stick a bunch of inane rubbish on first!

So, if you are a weather girl (or weather guy), please take pity. Just do your job. Tell us the weather first then all us working types can go and sort our lives out. You'll still have the people who don't work to cheer up with your cheeky brand of irreverent humour (well maybe, if I didn't have to go to work I'd still be in bed).

So there you are. Just a little thing but it gives me the morning rage. I guess shouting at the TV at least helps me to wake up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jimmy likes you. Jimmy would like to go on a date with you. That makes Jimmy smile.