Thursday, July 13, 2006

Going Postal

I was involved in an argument with Royal Mail that lasted over a year.

I had at least five birthday cards disappear. Two with vouchers in. It was only birthday cards and only the ones that I posted to a certain area.

Royal mail leapt into action to investigate my complaints (a month after each complaint, as is their SOP). The issued me with a complaint number and then proceded to do a big fat fuck all about it. I never heard back. When I complained about this I was given another complaint number (as they couldn't find the first one) with the same result. I had vouchers worth £50 (in total) stolen from various cards.

It wasn't the money. It was the fact that the cards disappeared too. My nephew didn't get a card on his birthday because of either incompetence or theft. After flipping out of the phone to some "customer service" person who clearly didn't give a shit I received a dozen stamps in "compensation". Of course this didn't make up for the missing £20 voucher or the fact that my second card didn't arrive until after his birthday (I took it myself).

Luckily in England we have an organisation called postwatch who oversees Royal mail and investigates complaints. Did I say luckily? I meant to say unfortunately and instead of organisation I meant to say cosmetic exercise.

Complaining to post watch was just as ineffective as complaining to Royal mail. They said they couldn't investigate until Royal mail had had their chance then I never heard from them again. (I have just re-sent my last complaint from last year just to see if they will even care).

You'd think I'd be woading up by now but I have reached some eye in the storm of rage, a place of zen calm where I don't let the incompetent bother me. I avoid using the post wherever possible.

I use birthdays as an opportunity to visit people and I take the cards myself. I also take time out to hassle post watch whenever I can. Not that i expectthem to do anything but it warms the cockles of my heart to think I can take up some of their time and hopefully cost them a little money.

Big companies don't give a shit, that doesn't mean we shouldn't all complain as much as possible. If enough bees sting an elephant eventually it will notice.

Should I stop listening to rage against the machine?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jimmy likes you. Jimmy would like to go on a date with you. That makes Jimmy smile.