Thursday, September 14, 2006

Not waving but drowning

Ever had one of those days? Shovelling the brown stuff against the tide?

I have a job like that. Somedays I feel like Sisyphus. Don't get me wrong, I love my job and I couldn't do better for coworkers but it's tough.

I have had some jobs that were way worse. My last job I just quit. I managed to work my notice without punching anyone or suggesting that they tried inserting stuff into themselves but it was a very close thing.

The job before that I also quit but that was a case of a manic CEO advised by a simplton who had managed to absorb enough management speak to impress the uninitiated but had proved impervious to any form of useful knowledge. I knew I was in trouble the day he gave me the career talk and drew me some graphs to illustrate the two paths I could take.

The path I wanted to take was directly to the door. From there I hoped to get as far from this idiot as possible. I had run into the phenomenon of the waste of space manager. He had mastered the wearing of suits and shaving. I bet he even managed to get his shoes on the right feet most of the time. What he seemed unable to do was to manage staff. Just talking to the trouser snake made my fists itch.

People at the top are called the cream, I can only assume as the cream floats to the top of the milk. I have another analogy, the sewer. We all know what floats to the top there. Or perhaps the swamp where the scum floats on the surface.

I have seen managers that I would trust with anything. People who genuinely care for their people and get the best from them. I have also seen managers who could easly be replaced by a computer that randomly changed stuff and shouted a bit. What I have observed is that companies in general seem unable to tell them apart.

The company, as a gestalt organism, is frequently oblivious to the malignant cells within it. I would suggest a group within a company that is charged with rooting out the incompetent and possibly the homicidal. Wouldn't you just love to work in that job? To catch the useless arse that's making everybody else's life difficult and tell them to sling their hook?

Pretty sweet job.

On the bright side, being kept busy makes the day flash past. So all in all I am a happy little monkey!

2 Comments:

Blogger Andraste said...

Glad you're back, and you seem to be in fine form...two posts this week? Nice!

You are right about bosses and managers, I have to say. I once quit a job entirely because my boss was a prick. E-vil. Like the Fru-its of the De-vil, he was.

...and he looked like DAvid Hasselhoff. Sin #2, in my book.

Eugh.

Thursday, September 14, 2006 8:01:00 pm  
Blogger Student said...

I have returned.

His evil probably came from the hoff he resembled!

Friday, September 15, 2006 12:08:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jimmy likes you. Jimmy would like to go on a date with you. That makes Jimmy smile.