Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Sweet Jesus no

I have been on an expedition. A perilous dive into some of the darkest corners of the eighties. I have dug up some music that was better left forgotten. although one or two were fun to exhume.

Just a quick question. Stock, Aiken and Waterman.

What the fuck? Talk about crimes against music.

I'd like to think that I cringed in the school disco but I am betting that I hung out in my chinos (CHINOS for the love of god) and did the side to side dance with everyone else.
Actually I am particularly ashamed of a white jacket I had, I think it may have had (and I'd rather admit to genocide than this so I guess this must really be therapy for me) the sleeves rolled up! Ouch, the wince that I just let loose nearly tore my ear off.

Aaaaargh stone washed jacket. Leather ties.

"The power of christ compells you. The power of christ compells you.

Eighties OUT."

Aw crap. Anyone remember Tiffany? I wish I were alone now I can tell you. I need to curl up in a ball and weep for a bit. I think the demon trio S, A & W perpetrated her also (can't be sure but it has the stench of Astly on it).

Sweet holy mother of arse, Alexander O'Neal. Criticise? Criticise? I'd like to make my criticism with a pair of bolt cutters and a blow torch.

I was young, I was vunerable, I wanted to look cool so I could bury my beak, was it fair for the eighties to put me in a position where there would be a lot of incriminating photos of me looking like a spotty don johnson? I think not.

Why didn't I listen when my parents asked "what do you look like"?

To be fair listening to this crap has brought back some pretty good memories also. Most of these are not to do with satans tunes or the clothes of don johnson. Although AHA (take on me) still makes me smile, as does the original 99 red balloons (in german the British version is a bit shite), who could forget Transvision vamp (although a lot of that could do with me wanting to cover Wendy James in baby oil and get nasty). Still not a lot to help mitigate the eighties shame I still carry. Surely there should be some sort of support group?

Tight fit. "a wimba way, a wimba way, a wimba way........."[gunshot].

2 Comments:

Blogger Andraste said...

Oh, there was some pretty good stuff in that decade as well.

I STILL love Big Country, Lloyd Cole, the Jesus and Mary Chain.

And Rick Astley? He gets abused more than he should, I think. Even Nick Lowe, in "All Men are Liars," I'm sure only used him as an example to rhyme "Astley" and "Ghastly." Sure, he wasn't "Good," but in a decade that gave us Gloria Estefan, was he that BAD? Sheesh! Harmless pop. And he DID have a good voice. Just used in in the service of mediocrity.

Oh, and I also had a white blazer type jacket with the sleeves rolled up. Erm...mine was suede.

Beat that!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 12:52:00 pm  
Blogger Student said...

There must have been more than cringing in the 80's I'm sure but when I see those photos or hear the music I just want to bite my knuckles.

Gloria Estefan! How in gods name did I miss her out? I may have had a little soft spot for her for a while (don't worry I am hanging my head right now).

I'm not convinced that Rick Astley gets abused more than he should although I admit that Pete Waterman and pals should be in the next cells along from him as accomplices.

White suede jacket? Beat it? I am just relieved it wasn't just me!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 1:12:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jimmy likes you. Jimmy would like to go on a date with you. That makes Jimmy smile.