Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving

This has been mentioned on the Radio by Edith Bowman (I think?).

Anyway, she suggested and I agree that we should celebrate this holiday in England.

Wait. Hear me out. No. SHUT UP!

A couple of reasons. Wait for it.

Firstly. There are things we should be thankful for (I shall come back to this point in a bit).

Secondly. It's a great excuse to get together with family and friends, have a meal, have a drink and generally make merry.

Thirdly. We should have a national day off (one of the things I would be thankful for (see above)).

Now, when I have been carrying the words of Miss Bowman forth I have hit a bit of turbulence. Some of the people I have mentioned this to are against it!!!


WHY????????

I shall tell you.

Apparently, it's "a bloody American holiday" and why should we Brits celebrate that? God bless the queen, Land of hope and glory etc etc.

Now I don't get this point of view. If we got the day off who cares why? I like the idea of being thankful (even if it is just for having a day off), I like getting together with people I care about for a big meal or a celebration, I don't like the people who think we still have the empire.


Let it go people. The colonies are independent now. I am, not asking you to celebrate independence day, just thanksgiving. Surely you have something to be thankful for? If it upsets you so much, how about you go to work and I get the day off? Hmmm?

Miserable bastards.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

alot of places give the day after off as well, traditionally a day for shopping.
Have you ever seen the lines of people at 5am lined up out side stores? I did it once just to say I did.
speaking of days off.. canada is the place to be, they have a holiday for everything ... one a week almost ... they just make shit up to stay home.

Friday, November 24, 2006 4:00:00 pm  
Blogger Andraste said...

Erm...need I point out that the people who invented Thanksgiving weren't Americans - they were Brits. The entire holiday is an offshoot of the harvest festivals celebrated in agrarian Britain for centuries before the US came to exist.

It's just an autumn 'bringing in the crops and being thankful for earth's bounty' holiday.

starting a Thanksgiving in the UK would be more of a reintroduction than anything new.

Sheesh!

Sunday, November 26, 2006 2:02:00 am  
Blogger Student said...

Shop? On my beautiful day off? Never. To the pub!

Really? A British holiday? In that case I demand my day off! We are being screwed.

Introduce/reintroduce, whatever, I just want my free day off.

I should take time out to thank andraste for educating me but it's a monday morning and I take being wrong very badly.

Damn you woman!;)

Monday, November 27, 2006 9:38:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Jimmy likes you. Jimmy would like to go on a date with you. That makes Jimmy smile.